12 July 2018
Drozdova & Partners Law Firm assisted foreigner with acquiring Ukrainian citizenship
Drozdova & Partners Law Firm advised a Turkish national on his acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship. The President has signed a relevant order granting the citizenship recently.
‘On behalf of the client, we proved his compliance with statutory requirements for acquiring the citizenship and prepared and filed necessary documents with the State Migration service who further transferred it to the Presidential Commission on Matters of Citizenship,’ told Drozdova & Partners Law Firm Director Ms Olena Drozdova who advised the client on those issues. – The commission has considered the information filed and made a positive decision and recommended that the President should grant our application.’
It is a reminder that the Ukrainian Citizenship Act specifies in its Articles 6 and 9 that naturalisation is one of grounds for the acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship.
To be naturalised, a foreign national must:
1) recognise and comply with the Ukrainian Constitution and laws;
2) assume the obligation to surrender his existing citizenship;
3) stay continuously and legally in Ukraine for last five years (or be married to a Ukrainian national for more than two years).
4) be given an immigration permit;
5) master or be able to understand the national language to the extent sufficient for communication; and
6) have legal livelihoods.